Saturday, November 05, 2005

digraphs without Matrix

Is a world without Math. YAY! With all due respect, its a lovely subject. =D.

These quotes are some of which I've always love reading; probably its the profundity. Plus, a certain degree of gripe.

Neo: I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid... you're afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to hang up this phone, and then I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.


Excerpt I read from a book, which stumped me:


'Their eyes are really different. There's the fear of death in them, of course, but beyond that, there's the idea of sacrifice. Their lives are meaningful because they are ready to offer them up for a cause.'

'You're talking about soldiers, are you?'

'Yes, and I'm talking as well about something I find terribly hard to accept, but which I can't pretend I don't see. War is a ritual. A blood ritual, but also love ritual.'

'You're mad.'

'Maybe I am. But I've met other war correspondents, too, who go from one country to the next, as if the routine of death were part of their lives. They're not afraid of anything, they face danger the way a soldier does. And all for a news report? I don't think so. They can no longer live without the danger, the adventure, the adrenaline in their blood. One of them, a married man with three children, told me that the place where he feels most at ease is in the war zone, even though he adores his family and talks all the time about his wife and kids.'

'I just can't understand it at all. Look, Esther, I don't want to interfere in your life, but I think this experience will end up doing you real harm.'

'It would harm me more to be living a life without meaning. In a war, everyone knows they're experiencing something important.'

'A historic moment, you mean?'

'No, that isn't enough of a reason for risking your life. No, I mean that they're experiencing the true essence of man.'

'War?'

'No, love.'

'You're becoming like them.'

'I think I am.'

'Tell you're news agency you've had enough.'

......

'So, in your opinion, human beings only find life meaningful when they're at war.'

'But we're always at war. We're at war with death, and we know that death will win in the end. In armed conflicts, this is simply more obvious, but the same thing happens in daily life. We can't allow ourselves the luxury of being unhappy all the time.'

'What do you want me to do?'


Between 'The Matrix' and Coelho, P. there's a striking resemblance in the structure. Twisting story-lines leaves one in a stupor. One knows nuts until one gets to the end...and gather pieces, especially when the creator tries hard to be brilliantly funny and added some time-shift paradigm. I'm very much sure that till today, there are certain groups of people who do not understand 'The Matrix' or worse, totally reject the whole idea as quixotic or ludicrous. Just like some individual who wouldn't watch or understand LOTR thinking its unnaturally long and fantasy/fiction just wouldn't do.

The only thing, which has kept me reading is the curiosity as to why a book had to be named 'The Zahir'. Through my understanding, it is something solid(like a structure). What you can see and touch...but which I'm reading, its reference seems to be something abstract. Hmm?!?

And between myself, I'd be happy if I could make some sense what little of the story in the end. Albeit, the plot.

Its reading without understanding...

2 comments:

Nightlegend said...

Thanks alot for reminding me with those quotes from The Matrix ,actualy I consider The Matrix trilogy as one of the best intelectual created univereses ,full of questions ,philosphy ,paradigms and intterpretaions ,I have bought many books about The Matrix's Philosophy and ideas and readed a countless web pages and forums's posts about it. as you I still also feels sorry for the people who try to degregade The Matrix to only a movie or series of movies ,comics and books ,it's a complete universe that still worth the effort to dive more into.

daffodilLament said...

nightlegend: hey, no problem. The Matrix is in a league of its own, no doubt. =)