Thursday, October 28, 2004

The Essential me.

Time and again, I am seized by the very thoughts, that I am getting matured(a polite term of getting old.); numerically adding. Not that it’s a big deal, being twenty and counting, if God-Willing. But what is devastating, at least to me is that I have this strong sentiment, I will loose more and gain less as according to the ‘Law of Diminishing Returns’, in the process of aging.

Unless, I can hold on to the essential me, and savour golden moments in staying Gold. But, then again, which of what I am speaking, I’m afraid would only be attainable through, spirituality and inner strengths. Everything else, will ebb away through the passage of Time, that concept of Walking History.

But which is harmful, I cannot tell. Do one then blame, old people acting like they’re still young and gregarious, old men marrying those blithe young things, middle-ages carrying themselves and socializing like they are still in the prime of their life. Their actions for good or bad, is unfortunately, not for the world to judge. And, who defines prime anyway? Once a while, one looks in the mirror and realizes one is already old, then after that forgets about it. But then, realize, life is too short and one falls short of a number of unaccomplished goals, but rather than wallowing in lugubrious, why not make the best of what is left, in life?

Aside, moral society, would discriminate them, but that is only because they held on too much to the essential them and forgot that they have aged physically.

Do we then blame them? Once one’s energy starts to leave, and all sorts of sickness start to infest; only then would one realize, that the early evening of one’s lives has arrived.

Not that I do care, at least for now, but twenty years down the road, and by then, I would have probably been married and would still be talking of the same sentiment as I do now.

According to Singapore’s population statistics, we are facing an aging society problem, too little younger generations in ratio to replace the positions in society by the retiring contemporaries. And this, would inevitably result to, more neglected aged population that is in need of care and attention. And hence, lies a looming problem amongst, the young working class, or the yuppies to settle down and have families. But with the uncertainty that lies ahead, it is impossible for these young adults to even think of leaving the comforts of their single-hoods and embrace the unknown. Whereas the other half of the figure, might still have a problem in question, of surviving in the real world.

Which I feel, that having a purpose in life and working towards the fulfillment of it all, would hopefully lead me to aging gracefully and yet, still holding on to the essential me.

And may God-willing. :)

No comments: